WHO WE ARE
Dense Breasts Canada (DBC) is a group of breast cancer survivors and health professionals dedicated to raising awareness about the risks of, and screening challenges in dense breasts.
OUR GOALS: AWARENESS AND ADVOCACY
We are targeting efforts in these three areas:
1. We want to: Increase awareness among women and family doctors of the risks and screening challenges associated with dense breasts.
2. We want to: Convince provincial governments to report on breast density and share the information with patients.
3. We want to: Convince provincial governments to provide ultrasounds for women with the densest breasts.
WHY WE’RE SEEKING CHANGE
Close to 3 million women in Canada, over the age of 40, have dense breasts. Many do not know their breast density. DBC wants to educate women about the importance of knowing whether they have dense breasts. Density matters!
1. Cancer is 4-6 times more likely in women with “Extremely Dense” breasts than in women with “Fatty” breasts.
2. Mammograms are not an effective screening tool for women with dense breast tissue. Mammography can miss up to 50% of the breast cancers in dense breast tissue. Women with dense breasts can benefit from additional screening. The use of Ultrasound can decrease the number of missed or delayed cancer diagnoses.